The small community of Wyoming, Illinois, is a place where everyone pretty much knows each other. Whenever news breaks out, everyone comes to hear of it.
This is exactly what happened with the case of Shelby Ann Carter and her young daughter. Keana Davis was born on January 2017, to the joy of her mother. Her fiancé and she lived with her mother, and she was working as a beautician who had started pursuing pharmacy.
The birth of Keana Davis brought a lot of joy to the family. But unfortunately, that was about to change.
A day after she turned 21, the unimaginable happened.
She was spending time with her little girl at home when suddenly, a fire broke out and she had to call 911. She told them she was finding it hard to breathe, but left out the details about her child.
The firefighters reached the scene and could only wonder why she hadn’t mentioned the child. Maybe she knew that by the time they arrive, it would already be too late. They found Shelby on the second floor of her home where she lay dead due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
After the flames were put out and the house was brought back to a stable condition, they discovered Keana Davis. Apparently, Shelby had tied up her child to a car seat and dropped her out of the window. She had done all she could to make sure her child was fine.
The chief of the local volunteer fire department commented by saying: “I guess it’s the motherly instinct to take care of their young. We’re all wondering why she didn’t go out after the baby.”
What about Keana?
Doctors said that Keana was totally unharmed, which meant that Shelby’s idea had worked. It is a truly remarkable story considering the fact that she thought of it in almost no time. Due to the genius of her mother, Keana can now be very thankful for her life.
Upon discharging from the hospital, she was given to her relatives with whom she would resume her life. Even with her mother gone, she still had a family.
Even though Keana did not get to meet her mother, she would still be very proud of her.
This incident just reaffirms the fact that a mother would do anything to ensure the best safety for her child. Shelby will always be remembered as a hero and will have a place in the hearts of the whole world, let alone her town. Mothers always look at the safety of their children first and then, themselves. This selflessness is what makes one a mother.
After the incident, the neighborhood pitched in money so they could help rebuild the burnt house, and they were able to raise around $40,000 in just one week. This proved really helpful for the family and their neighbors did a great job of coming together in tough times.